Two exhibitions from the archives at the Guggenheim
A Frank Lloyd Wright tribute helps us understand the history of this famous NY Museum while Kandinsky's pre-abstract work provides insight into early acquisitions. It is time for self-reflection at the NY Guggenheim.
The Wright tribute, running from 2012 to the present, is a presentation of materials from the museum's archives, which pays tribute to the two Frank Lloyd Wright-designed buildings that were constructed specifically to house the 1953 exhibition "Sixty Years of Living Architecture: The Work of Frank Lloyd Wright": 'a temporary pavilion made of glass, fiberboard, and pipe columns; and a 1,700-square-foot, fully furnished, two-bedroom, model Usonian house representing Wright’s organic solution for modest, middle-class dwellings.'
Solomon R. Guggenheim began collecting Kandinsky’s work in 1929, later meeting the artist at the Dessau Bauhaus in July 1930. More than 150 works ultimately becane part of the museum’s collection. This exhibition of early paintings and wood-cuts spans Kandinsky's work from 1901 - 1911.